Day two of minor league spring training games saw the Charleston RiverDogs and Tampa Tarpons workgroups take on the Philadelphia Phillies Single-A teams at the Yankees minor league complex in Tampa.
by: Omari Brown
- Aaron Judge played five innings of in left-field with Single-A Tampa with one putout. He tracked the ball well in left field and backed up the center fielder easily.
- Nick Green started for Tampa went 3 2/3IP 3K 2BB 2H and gave up 1 earned run
- Timmy Robinson and Oswaldo Cabrera collided in the top of the first inning. Both players left the game. Robinson was carted off the field and into an ambulance. There is no update on his condition at this time.
- Steven Sensley was 1-3 with a home run, 2 RBIs and a walk. Worked the count well.
- JP Sears relieved Green pitched 3+ 6K 4H 1BB 1ER
- Backup C Pedro Diaz came in in the fifth inning was 1-2 2B and threw a runner out at 2B.
- Reliever Paul Young pitched an inning plus 3K 1BB. Attacked the strike zone and worked at a nice pace.
- Dermis Garcia joined the Tampa Tarpons workgroup today, wearing 58.
- Chris Hess went 2-for-4 with a run scored and an RBI
- Edel Lauces went 1-for-3 with a double, RBI and a strikeout
by: Rob Terranova
- Chien-Ming Wang has been working with the Yankees pitching prospects at the Minor League complex this spring. The 37-year-old signed as an amateur free agent with the Yankees in 2000 and later spent his first three big-league seasons with New York.
- Starter Luis Medina made his much-anticipated spring debut and it featured a little bit of everything. Medina’s fastball was in the 97-100 mph range over the three innings that he pitched, and while it helped him blow hitters away for five punch-outs, the right-hander gave up a solo home run in the first inning (off a 99-mph heater) and also drilled a Phillies player in the head to lead off the second. However, Medina’s effort was helped by an outfield assist from Robert Javier in center who threw out a runner at home plate to end the second frame. Medina also picked-off a player at first base, after giving up a single to start the third.
- Nick Nelson appeared to be in mid-season form as he dominated the Phillies over 3 1/3 innings of relief. The righty only gave up one hit and one walk while striking out three.
- Drew Finley put his new delivery on display and the hard work he put in over the offseason showed. Finley threw 1 1/3 shutout innings of relief where he gave up a hit and a walk, but three of his four outs recorded were via the K.
- Canaan Smith DH’d and played right-field for the RiverDogs, he went 1-for-4 with a K
- Jesus Bastidas went 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored
- Andres Chaparro went 1-for-4 with a double and RBI
- Saul Torres went 0-for-2
- Leobaldo Cabrera went 2-for-4 with a double, run scored and a strikeout.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!