It was a winning Fourth Of July in the New York Yankees organization on Wednesday as the teams combined to go 6-4 in the ten games that were played. The big league club hit three home runs against the Braves while one of its starters made a rehab start for Scranton Wilkes-Barre. Meanwhile, a Tampa starter threw seven strong innings and a Staten Island outfielder had the most RBIs of any player in the organization (4). Check out those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (56-28) defeated the Atlanta Braves 6-2 and won two out of three games in the series.
- Giancarlo Stanton (1-for-4) hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the third (21).
- Kyle Higashioka (1-for-3) hit a solo home run in the fourth (3) and has three home runs in the last four games.
- Aaron Judge went 1-for-4 and hit a solo home run in the seventh (24).
- Didi Gregorius (2-for-4, double) had the lone multi-hit game.
- C.C. Sabathia (6-3) had a quality start in a win. He went six innings, gave up two runs on five hits, struck out five, and walked three on 103 pitches (68 strikes).
- Chad Green gave up two hits in a scoreless seventh.
- Dellin Betances and Jonathan Holder each did not allow a run and just one hit over the final two innings (Betances struck out two in the eighth).
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (43-40) scored all of their runs in the seventh inning during their 4-2 win over the Buffalo Bisons. They have won three games in a row.
- Tyler Wade (1-for-4) broke a 2-2 tie in the bottom of the seventh with a two-run double (17,18). (Cheryl Pursell)
- Zack Zehner (1-for-3) got the scoring started with a base hit (21).
- Francisco Diaz (1-for-3) tied the game on a single (2).
- Clint Frazier had the lone multi-hit game (2-for-3, double, walk).
- Stephen Tarpley (1-0) gave up a hit and struck out three in two innings as he got the win in relief.
- Giovanny Gallegos gave up a hit and struck out a batter over the final two innings as he got his first save of the year.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (48-36) started their series against the Altoona Curve with an 8-3 win.
- Wendell Rijo went 3-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI (2).
- Mandy Alvarez was 2-for-4 and had an RBI infield single in the third (37).
- Ryan Lidge went 2-for-4 and had a two-run single in the fourth (3,4).
- Ryan Bollinger (4-3) got the win for Trenton. He went six innings, gave up a run on four hits, struck out nine, and walked four on 106 pitches (67 strikes).
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (42-41) began their series against the Clearwater Threshers with a 5-1 victory.
- Brandon Wagner (1-for-4) hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the seventh (16).
- Diego Castillo went 2-for-4 with an RBI single in the seventh (30).
- David Metzgar (1-for-3) had an RBI single in the fourth (3).
- Ricky Surum was 3-for-3 with a double and a stolen base in his first game with Tampa.
- Dom Thompson-Williams had a multi-hit game (2-for-4).
- Matt Frawley gave up a hit and struck out two batters over the final two innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (41-39) lost the series opener to the Augusta GreenJackets, 4-3.
- Dermis Garcia (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the fourth (6).
- Wilkerman Garcia (2-for-4, stolen base) drove in a run on a double in the eighth (25).
- Deivi Garcia (1-2) went five innings, gave up three runs (two earned) on six hits, struck out seven, and walked one on 84 pitches (52 strikes) in a loss.
- Dalton Higgins gave up a run on two hits, struck out three, and walked one over three innings.
- Anderson Severino threw a perfect ninth inning.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (7-12) began their series against the Hudson Valley Renegades with a 7-3 win.
- Canaan Smith was the star on offense. He went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third (1) and drove in four runs (6,7,8,9).
- Miguel Flames went 1-for-4 with an RBI in his first game with Staten Island (single in the seventh).
- Jerry Seitz (1-for-2) got the scoring started with a sacrifice fly in the second (3).
- Andres Chaparro went 2-for-4 and is hitting .315 on the season.
- Christian Morris gave up two runs on three hits and struck out four over 2.1 innings.
- Chase Hodson finished the game by allowing a hit and striking out two in 2/3 of an inning.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (6-9) lost to the Bluefield Blue Jays 2-0 in ten innings.
- Evan Alexander (1-for-5) had the lone extra-base hit (triple).
- Saul Torres went 1-for-2 with two walks.
- Luis Gil got the start and went just 1.1 innings. He allowed one hit, struck out four, and walked three on 48 pitches (26 strikes).
- Gilmael Troya struck out four batters and walked one in 2.2 hitless innings.
- Wellington Diaz allowed two hits, struck out five, and walked three in 4.1 scoreless innings.
- Bryan Blanton (0-3) took the loss in relief. He gave up two runs (one earned) on one hit, struck out three, and walked one over 1.2 innings.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League squads lost their games on Wednesday. The East team (3-9) lost 11-4 to the GCL Braves and the West team (5-6) lost 7-0 to GCL Tigers West.
- Jesus Severino was 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, a stolen base, and an RBI (2).
- Sandy Mota was 1-for-3 with an RBI (5).
- Asdrubal Alvarez came in for Mota and went 1-for-1 with an RBI of his own (2).
- Nestor Oronel only got two outs in the first inning. He gave up an unearned run on one hit, struck out a batter, and walked one.
- Tyler Johnson walked a batter and struck out one in a hitless inning.
- Yoiber Marquina (0-1) did not give up a hit in the loss. He allowed three runs (one earned), struck out three, and walked two over 1.2 innings.
- Jose Peguero allowed a hit and struck out two in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Keegan Curtis allowed a hit and struck out two in the ninth.
- Clarke Schmidt got the start in this game. He allowed two hits and struck out three in 2.1 innings.
- Nelvin Correa (1-2) took the loss. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out five, and walked one over three innings.
- Havid Burgos walked two batters and struck out one in 2/3 of an inning. He hasn’t allowed a run in four games this year.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (14-14) defeated DSL Mets 1, 6-2.
- Deivi Munoz went 3-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI (2).
- Nelson Medina (1-for-4) had a double and an RBI (6).
- Miguel Marte was 1-for-4 with a double and an RBI (15).
- Randy Vasquez did not allow a hit in the first 3.1 innings. He struck out four and walked three.
- Yon Castro (2-2) went 4.1 innings, gave up two runs on five hits, and struck out four in the win.
- Wilser Barrios gave up a hit and struck out two over the final 1.1 innings of the game. He hasn’t given up a run in six appearances this season.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!