On Wednesday night, the New York Yankees organization combined to go 4-5 in the nine games that were played. This included a doubleheader down in the Dominican Summer League. While Tampa only scored one run, they got a good performance from their starting pitcher. In Staten Island, one player provided the offense that led them to a win. Meanwhile, players at Scranton Wilkes-Barre and Trenton got to play in their league’s respective All-Star Games. Find out who those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (60-31) split their four-game series with the Baltimore Orioles after a 9-0 victory.
- Giancarlo Stanton went 4-for-5 and drove in a pair of runs (53,54).
- Tyler Wade was 3-for-5 and he hit a solo home run in the top of the sixth (1). It was his first career big league home run.
- Austin Romine went 2-for-5 and hit a solo shot in the seventh (6).
- Greg Bird (1-for-4, walk) hit a grand slam in the third (7).
- Sonny Gray (6-7) bounced back on the mound. He shut out the Orioles over six innings, gave up three hits, struck out eight, and walked one on 90 pitches (58 strikes) in the win.
- A.J. Cole gave up two hits and struck out two in two innings of relief.
- Chasen Shreve struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 ninth inning.
Scranton-Wilkes Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The International League took on the Pacific Coast League in Wednesday night’s All-Star Game.
- Cody Carroll struck out two batters in a 1-2-3 fifth inning.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Eastern League had their All-Star Game on Wednesday night. Here’s how the Thunder players did in the game:
- Trey Amburgey was 1-for-3 off the bench and tied the game with an RBI double in the bottom of the ninth.
- Mandy Alvarez was 0-for-2 with a strikeout off the bench.
- James Reeves got the final out of the sixth inning.
- Caleb Frare gave up a run on one hit and struck out two in the eighth.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (46-43) lost a pitchers duel to the Jupiter Hammerheads, 2-1.
- Isiah Gilliam went 3-for-4 and drove in the lone run of the game on a triple in the top of the fourth (49).
- Ben Ruta was the other player with a hit on the Tarpons (1-for-4).
- Matt Wivinis (1-2) gave up a run on two hits and struck out two in the eighth as he took the loss.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (45-41) were held to eight hits in their 6-0 loss to the Delmarva Shorebirds.
- Chris Hess (1-for-4) had the lone extra-base hit (double).
- Deivi Garcia (1-3) went 4.1 innings, gave up five runs (four earned) on four hits, struck out six, and walked four on 94 pitches (60 strikes) in a loss.
- Daniel Ramos gave up a hit, struck out two, and walked three in 2.1 scoreless innings of relief.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (12-13) began their series against the Mahoning Valley Scrappers with a 5-1 win.
- Junior Soto went 3-for-4 with a pair of home runs and drove in four runs (8,9,10,11). He broke a 1-1 tie with a solo shot in the bottom of the seventh and hit a three-run home run in the eighth.
- Josh Breaux (1-for-2) had an RBI double in the third, but he left the game with an injury:
- Brandon Lockridge went 1-for-4 in his Staten Island debut.
- Drew Finley (1-2) got the win in relief. He gave up a run on one hit (home run), struck out four batters, and walked one.
- Daniel Alvarez gave up a hit, struck out five, and walked one over the final two innings as he got his first save of the year.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (9-13) lost their game to the Bristol Pirates, 6-4.
- Carlos Tatis went 1-for-4 and drove in two runs on an RBI single in the bottom of the first (2,3).
- Jordan Scott did not have a hit (0-for-4). However, he did have an RBI groundout (6).
- Oswald Peraza went 2-for-3 with a walk and had the lone multi-hit game.
- Alexander Vizcaino (0-2) took the loss in his start. He went five innings, gave up five runs (four earned) on six hits, struck out four, and walked three on 78 pitches (44 strikes).
- Marcus Evey gave up a run on two hits, struck out three batters, and walked one in two innings of work.
- Austin Gardner struck out a batter and walked one while not giving up a hit in the final two innings.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League squads split their games on Wednesday. The East team (6-13) lost to GCL Tigers West, 3-1. The West (9-8) beat the GCL Braves, 3-1.
- Estevan Florial (1-for-3) hit a solo home run in the bottom of the first (1).
- Jesus Severino went 2-for-4 with a two-run home run in the fifth (1).
- Brayan Jimenez (2-for-2) walked twice and drove in a run (3).
- Sandy Mota was 2-for-4 with an RBI (7).
- Jose Villa went 1-for-4 with an RBI (16) and is hitting .444 on the season.
- Yoendrys Gomez pitched well in a no-decision. In five innings of work, he gave up a run on two hits, struck out four, and walked one.
- Connor Jones (0-1) took the loss in relief. He gave up four runs on three hits and walked a batter while only recording one out.
- Antonio Cabello (2-for-4) hit a go-ahead two-run home run in the top of the eighth (3).
- Jesus Graterol (1-for-3) tied the game with an RBI triple (2).
- Pedro Barrios went 5.1 innings, gave up an unearned run on three hits, and struck out eight in a no-decision.
- Jackson Bertsch (1-0) got the win after throwing 1.2 perfect innings.
- Bringnel Mendez allowed one hit in two scoreless innings as he got his second save.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (15-19) split their doubleheader with DSL Phillies Red. They lost Game 1, 7-4, and they won Game 2, 12-5.
- Anthony Valenzuela went 1-for-3 with a double and drove in two runs (15,16).
- Miguel Marte was 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI (16).
- Madison Santos was 2-for-4 with a stolen base.
- Randy Vasquez got the no-decision in his outing. In two innings of work, he gave two runs on three hits, struck out three, and walked two.
- Yon Castro (2-3) got the loss in relief. He went 4.2 innings, gave up five runs (four earned) on seven hits, struck out three, and walked three.
- Madison Santos went 2-for-4 with a walk, two doubles, and drove in three runs (12,13,14).
- Miguel Marte was 2-for-5 and drove in two runs (17,18).
- Juan Crisp (1-for-5) had a double and two RBIs (16,17).
- Bryant Arrieche was 1-for-2 with two walks and he drove in two runs (1,2).
- Carlos Gomez went three innings, gave up two runs on four hits, struck out three, and walked one in a no-decision.
- Felix Alonzo (2-2) pitched the final four innings. He allowed three runs on six hits, struck out four, and walked two in a victory.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!