Thursday’s action in the New York Yankees organization brought the beginning of the second half of the season for Scranton Wilkes-Barre and Trenton. In the ten games that were played, the affiliates combined for a 6-4 record. The big league club hit three home runs in Cleveland, a Tampa starter allowed one hit over six shutout innings in a victory, and a Staten Island reliever got his first professional win. Check out who those players were and more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (61-31) started their series against the Cleveland Indians with a 7-4 win.
- Brett Gardner went 2-for-5 with a pair of home runs (8,9) and three RBIs (29,30,31). He hit a two-run home run in the top of the third and a solo home run in the ninth.
- Didi Gregorius (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the fourth (16).
- Greg Bird was 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs (19,20).
- Aaron Hicks (1-for-3, stolen base) broke a 4-4 tie with an RBI double in the eighth (43).
- Luis Severino got the no-decision in his outing. He went five innings, gave up four runs on nine hits, struck out a batter, and walked one on 94 pitches (63 strikes).
- David Robertson (6-3) threw a 1-2-3 seventh as he got the win.
- Adam Warren struck out a batter in a perfect sixth.
- Dellin Betances struck out a batter and walked one in a scoreless eighth.
- Aroldis Chapman struck out one batter in a 1-2-3 ninth as he got his 25th save.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (46-42) began the second half with a 2-1 loss to the Rochester Railriders.
- Billy McKinney (1-for-4) had the lone extra-base hit (triple).
- Shane Robinson went 1-for-4 with an RBI single in the bottom of the third (12).
- Tyler Austin and Abiatal Avelino both went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Stephen Tarpley walked a batter in 1.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
- Cale Coshow struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (50-39) defeated the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 2-1, in 10 innings.
- Billy Fleming went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Jorge Saez (2-for-4) and Devyn Bolasky (2-for-5) also had multi-hit games.
- Brian Keller shut out the Flying Squirrels over 5.1 innings. He allowed three hits, struck out seven, and walked three on 98 pitches (60 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Brody Koerner allowed one hit and struck out a batter over 2.1 scoreless innings.
- Brady Lail (1-0) went 2.1 innings, gave up a run on a hit, struck out three, and walked one in the win out of the bullpen.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (47-43) defeated the Jupiter Hammerheads, 5-1.
- Isiah Gilliam (1-for-3) hit a solo home run in the top of the third (11) and drove in two runs (50,51).
- Diego Castillo went 1-for-3 and drove in a run (31).
- Dom Thompson-Williams was 2-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base, and a pair of RBI singles (28,29).
- Brandon Wagner had a multi-hit game (2-for-4, double).
- Kaleb Ort allowed two hits, struck out a batter, and walked one in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Greg Weissert allowed a run on two hits in the final 1.2 innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (45-42) lost their game to the Delmarva Shorebirds, 11-6.
- Wilkerman Garcia (1-for-4, walk) had an RBI single in the eighth (27).
- Matt McPhearson (2-for-4, walk) drove in a run on a single in the ninth (11).
- Jio Orozco (1-2) got the loss in his start. He went four innings, gave up seven runs on eight hits, struck out two, and walked two on 83 pitches (56 strikes).
- Dalton Higgins gave up an unearned run on one hit in the fifth.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (13-13) got their record back to .500 with a 4-2 win over the Mahoning Valley Scrappers.
- Ricardo Ferreira went 2-for-2 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Eric Wagaman (1-for-3) drove in a run on a single in the bottom of the seventh (5).
- Nolan Martinez took a no-decision in his outing. In 5.2 innings of work, he gave up two runs on four hits, struck out two, and walked four on 91 pitches (58 strikes).
- Brooks Kriske got out of a bases loaded jam he inherited unscathed.
- Christian Morris struck out two batters and walked one in a hittless ninth as he got his second save.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (10-13) picked up a win over the Bristol Pirates, 8-2.
- Max Burt went 3-for-5 with a double, triple, and he drove in a pair of runs (10,11).
- Oswaldo Peraza was 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBIs (3,4).
- Juan De Leon (3-for-4) drove in a run for the Yankees with a base hit in the bottom of the fourth.
- Daniel Bies took the ball for the first two innings. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out three batters, and walked two on 47 pitches (32 strikes).
- Justin Wilson (1-0) got his first professional win in relief. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out a batter, and walked three over three innings.
- Carlos Espinal struck out four batters in three perfect innings out of the bullpen.
- Bryan Blanton gave up a hit in a scoreless ninth.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League squads split their games on Thursday. The West squad (10-8) defeated GCL Phillies West, 14-6, and the East team (6-14) lost 8-0 to the Pirates in seven innings.
- Asdrubal Alvarez (1-for-1) had the lone extra-base hit off the bench (double).
- Isaiah Pasteur (1-for-3) and Borinquen Mendez (1-for-2) had the other hits.
- Elvis Peguero (0-2) went 3.2 innings, gave up four runs (one earned) on three hits, struck out a batter, and walked to in a loss.
- Alex Mejias struck out two batters, walked one, and did not give up a hit in the final two innings.
- Estevan Florial went 2-for-4 and drove in a pair of runs (3,4) on his rehab assignment.
- Mitchell Robinson (2-for-3) drew a walk, had a double, and drove in three runs (3,4,5).
- Roberto Chirinos was 2-for-5 with a double and two RBIs (4,5).
- Stanley Rosario (1-for-4) drew a walk drove in two runs (3,4).
- Matt Pita (2-for-4) had a walk, double, triple, and two RBIs (1,2).
- Carlos D. Rodriguez (3-0) went five innings, gave up a run on five hits, struck out four, and walked two in a win.
- Daniel Calderon came in after Rodriguez. He allowed an unearned run on two hits, struck out three, and walked one.
- Edward Paredes went the final 1.2 innings. He gave up one run on one hit and struck out two.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (15-20) lost 6-1 to the DSL Angels.
- Nelson Medina went 1-for-5 with a double and drove in the lone run (7).
- Madison Santos (2-for-5) and Juan Crisp (2-for-4) had the only multi-hit games.
- Cristian Sumoza (1-2) took the loss in his outing. He went three innings, gave up three runs on six hits, struck out a batter, and walked two.
- Bias Castano allowed an unearned run on two hits, struck out five, and walked two over 3.1 innings.
- Albert Carrizo struck out three batters in 1.2 perfect innings.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!