Thursday’s action in the New York Yankees organization brought the beginning of the second half of the season for Scranton Wilkes-Barre and Trenton. In the ten games that were played, the affiliates combined for a 6-4 record. The big league club hit three home runs in Cleveland, a Tampa starter allowed one hit over six shutout innings in a victory, and a Staten Island reliever got his first professional win. Check out who those players were and more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (61-31) started their series against the Cleveland Indians with a 7-4 win.
- Brett Gardner went 2-for-5 with a pair of home runs (8,9) and three RBIs (29,30,31). He hit a two-run home run in the top of the third and a solo home run in the ninth.
- Didi Gregorius (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the fourth (16).
- Greg Bird was 1-for-3 with a double and two RBIs (19,20).
- Aaron Hicks (1-for-3, stolen base) broke a 4-4 tie with an RBI double in the eighth (43).
- Luis Severino got the no-decision in his outing. He went five innings, gave up four runs on nine hits, struck out a batter, and walked one on 94 pitches (63 strikes).
- David Robertson (6-3) threw a 1-2-3 seventh as he got the win.
- Adam Warren struck out a batter in a perfect sixth.
- Dellin Betances struck out a batter and walked one in a scoreless eighth.
- Aroldis Chapman struck out one batter in a 1-2-3 ninth as he got his 25th save.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (46-42) began the second half with a 2-1 loss to the Rochester Railriders.
- Billy McKinney (1-for-4) had the lone extra-base hit (triple).
- Shane Robinson went 1-for-4 with an RBI single in the bottom of the third (12).
- Tyler Austin and Abiatal Avelino both went 1-for-3 with a walk.
- Stephen Tarpley walked a batter in 1.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen.
- Cale Coshow struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 ninth.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (50-39) defeated the Richmond Flying Squirrels, 2-1, in 10 innings.
- Billy Fleming went 2-for-4 with a double.
- Jorge Saez (2-for-4) and Devyn Bolasky (2-for-5) also had multi-hit games.
- Brian Keller shut out the Flying Squirrels over 5.1 innings. He allowed three hits, struck out seven, and walked three on 98 pitches (60 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Brody Koerner allowed one hit and struck out a batter over 2.1 scoreless innings.
- Brady Lail (1-0) went 2.1 innings, gave up a run on a hit, struck out three, and walked one in the win out of the bullpen.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (47-43) defeated the Jupiter Hammerheads, 5-1.
- Isiah Gilliam (1-for-3) hit a solo home run in the top of the third (11) and drove in two runs (50,51).
- Diego Castillo went 1-for-3 and drove in a run (31).
- Dom Thompson-Williams was 2-for-3 with a walk, a stolen base, and a pair of RBI singles (28,29).
- Brandon Wagner had a multi-hit game (2-for-4, double).
- Kaleb Ort allowed two hits, struck out a batter, and walked one in 1.1 scoreless innings.
- Greg Weissert allowed a run on two hits in the final 1.2 innings.
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (45-42) lost their game to the Delmarva Shorebirds, 11-6.
- Wilkerman Garcia (1-for-4, walk) had an RBI single in the eighth (27).
- Matt McPhearson (2-for-4, walk) drove in a run on a single in the ninth (11).
- Jio Orozco (1-2) got the loss in his start. He went four innings, gave up seven runs on eight hits, struck out two, and walked two on 83 pitches (56 strikes).
- Dalton Higgins gave up an unearned run on one hit in the fifth.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (13-13) got their record back to .500 with a 4-2 win over the Mahoning Valley Scrappers.
- Ricardo Ferreira went 2-for-2 with a walk and a stolen base.
- Eric Wagaman (1-for-3) drove in a run on a single in the bottom of the seventh (5).
- Nolan Martinez took a no-decision in his outing. In 5.2 innings of work, he gave up two runs on four hits, struck out two, and walked four on 91 pitches (58 strikes).
- Brooks Kriske got out of a bases loaded jam he inherited unscathed.
- Christian Morris struck out two batters and walked one in a hittless ninth as he got his second save.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (10-13) picked up a win over the Bristol Pirates, 8-2.
- Max Burt went 3-for-5 with a double, triple, and he drove in a pair of runs (10,11).
- Oswaldo Peraza was 2-for-4 with a walk and two RBIs (3,4).
- Juan De Leon (3-for-4) drove in a run for the Yankees with a base hit in the bottom of the fourth.
- Daniel Bies took the ball for the first two innings. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out three batters, and walked two on 47 pitches (32 strikes).
- Justin Wilson (1-0) got his first professional win in relief. He gave up a run on two hits, struck out a batter, and walked three over three innings.
- Carlos Espinal struck out four batters in three perfect innings out of the bullpen.
- Bryan Blanton gave up a hit in a scoreless ninth.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The two Gulf Coast League squads split their games on Thursday. The West squad (10-8) defeated GCL Phillies West, 14-6, and the East team (6-14) lost 8-0 to the Pirates in seven innings.
- Asdrubal Alvarez (1-for-1) had the lone extra-base hit off the bench (double).
- Isaiah Pasteur (1-for-3) and Borinquen Mendez (1-for-2) had the other hits.
- Elvis Peguero (0-2) went 3.2 innings, gave up four runs (one earned) on three hits, struck out a batter, and walked to in a loss.
- Alex Mejias struck out two batters, walked one, and did not give up a hit in the final two innings.
- Estevan Florial went 2-for-4 and drove in a pair of runs (3,4) on his rehab assignment.
- Mitchell Robinson (2-for-3) drew a walk, had a double, and drove in three runs (3,4,5).
- Roberto Chirinos was 2-for-5 with a double and two RBIs (4,5).
- Stanley Rosario (1-for-4) drew a walk drove in two runs (3,4).
- Matt Pita (2-for-4) had a walk, double, triple, and two RBIs (1,2).
- Carlos D. Rodriguez (3-0) went five innings, gave up a run on five hits, struck out four, and walked two in a win.
- Daniel Calderon came in after Rodriguez. He allowed an unearned run on two hits, struck out three, and walked one.
- Edward Paredes went the final 1.2 innings. He gave up one run on one hit and struck out two.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (15-20) lost 6-1 to the DSL Angels.
- Nelson Medina went 1-for-5 with a double and drove in the lone run (7).
- Madison Santos (2-for-5) and Juan Crisp (2-for-4) had the only multi-hit games.
- Cristian Sumoza (1-2) took the loss in his outing. He went three innings, gave up three runs on six hits, struck out a batter, and walked two.
- Bias Castano allowed an unearned run on two hits, struck out five, and walked two over 3.1 innings.
- Albert Carrizo struck out three batters in 1.2 perfect innings.