Mother Nature played a factor in the scheduling on Sunday as the New York Yankees, Trenton Thunder, and Charleston Riverdogs each had their games postponed or canceled. Therefore, only two of the minor league affiliates were in action and they posted a combined record of 2-0. However, no team played a full nine-inning game. Let’s check out the key performances from the day’s action:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (7-7) had their doubleheader against the Tigers postponed. They will make up the two games as part of a split doubleheader on June 4. Luis Severino will start tomorrow night’s game against the Miami Marlins at Yankee Stadium (6:35 p.m ET). Former Yankee Caleb Smith will take the ball for Miami.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): Due to rain in Charlotte, the Railriders (7-3) only played five innings against the Knights. However, they found a way to win the rain-shortened game, 4-3.
- Brody Koerner got the win despite Jonathan Holder pitching the first inning. Koerner (1-0) went four innings, gave up three runs on four hits, struck out four, and walked one on 57 pitches (37 strikes).
- Kyle Higashioka went 2-for-3 and had an RBI double (6) in the third.
- Zack Zehner‘s solo home run (2) in the top of the fourth ended up being the decisive run in the contest.
- Abiatal Avelino (1-for-2, run scored) extended his hit streak to seven games.
- Gleyber Torres went 1-for-3 and scored a run. In the four-game series against Charlotte, he was 7-for-15 at the plate with six RBIs.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (5-4) had their series finale against Akron postponed due to rain. They will make it up as part of a doubleheader on Tuesday, May 22 at 5:05 p.m ET. The Thunder will be back in action on Monday night when they begin a series against the Erie Seawolves (6:05). Will Carter will be on the mound for Trenton.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): Due to rain, the Tarpons (5-6) only completed six innings, but they defeated the Fort Myers Miracle, 6-1.
- Isiah Gilliam was the star of the game once again. He went 3-for-4 with two runs scored and he had an RBI single in the seventh (8). The right fielder extended his RBI streak to six straight games.
- Diego Castillo was 2-for-3 with a pair of RBIs in the win (3,4).
- Nick Green (2-0) ended up getting the win in a shortened complete game. He gave up one run on three hits, struck out five, and walked four on 99 pitches (57 strikes).
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (5-5) had their series finale against Kannapolis canceled and the game won’t be made up. They will begin a series tomorrow night at home against West Virginia (7:05 p.m). Daniel Ramos is scheduled to start for Charleston.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!