There was not much action in the New York Yankees organization on Monday as only 5 teams were in action as Triple-A Scranton Wilkes-Barre and Double-A Trenton are on their All-Star breaks. While Tampa lost in extra innings, Staten Island won in dramatic fashion, and Pulaski’s pitching staff kept their opponents off the scoreboard:
Find out more about these games with our Pinstriped Performances and remember to vote for your Pinstriped Performer of the Night:
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (37-49) lost to the Dunedin Blue Jays, 4-3, in 10 innings.
- Pablo Olivares: 2-for-4, 1 walk, 2 stolen bases, 2 RBIs (19,20). Olivares is on a 4-game hit streak.
- Oswaldo Cabrera: 0-for-3, 2 walks, 1 RBI (33). Cabrera has 5 RBIs in the last 5 games.
- Diego Castillo: 1-for-4, 1 run scored. Castillo extended his hit streak to 7 games.
- Leonardo Molina: 1-for-4, 1 run scored.
- David Metzgar: 1-for-4, 1 run scored. Metzgar is on a 5-game hit streak.
- Omar Carrizales: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 double.
- Jio Orozco: 5 IP, 1 R (0 ER), 3 H, 3 K. 48 of 68 pitches were strikes. Orozco has a 2.49 ERA over his last 4 starts.
- Wellington Diaz: 4 IP, 2 ER, 2 H, 2 BB, 3 K. 35 of 63 pitches were strikes.
- Greg Weissert: 1 IP, 1 R (0 ER), 1 H, 1 BB, 2 K. 13 of 25 pitches were strikes.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (12-10) defeated the Connecticut Tigers in walk-off fashion, 2-1. It was a win that manager David Adams said “speaks to the character of the team.”
- Jorge Saez: 2-for-4, 1 RBI (1). The catcher who is on a rehab assignment had the walk-off single in the bottom of the ninth.
- Luis Santos: 2-for-3, 1 stolen base.
- Evan Alexander: 2-for-4. Alexander came in the game in the top of the first after Everson Pereira left the game due to injury and had to be helped off the field. Adams said after the game that Pereira is going to get some images done.
- Ezequiel Duran: 1-for-4, 1 run scored.
- Andres Chaparro: 1-for-4.
- Josh Maciejewski: 6 IP, 1 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 3 K. 55 of 86 pitches were strikes. The 10th Round pick from 2018 has a 0.87 ERA after 4 outings with Staten Island this year and he was starting on 8 days rest on Monday night.
“I thought he did a heck of a job,” said Adams about Maciejewski’s start. He didn’t have his best stuff with his breaking ball or changeup early. Fastball was playing up. Did a good job of utilizing it and trusting everything else. I think the last couple of innings, he finished strong and his breaking ball came along a lot better.
Adams also mentioned that the changeup is one of Maciejewski’s better pitches and the left-hander mentioned that the key to his success so far this year has been “filling up the strike zone with all 3 pitches” and “trying not to walk anyone.”
- Bryan Blanton: 2 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 BB, 3 K. 23 of 38 pitches were strikes. Blanton has 15 K’s to 3 walks in 6 outings with Staten Island and has held opposing hitters to a .107 average.
- Tim Hardy (1-0): 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 1 K. 8 of 15 pitches were strikes. Hardy has 12 strikeouts and has yet to walk a batter or allow an earned run in 5 outings this year.
Blanton and Hardy have been a part of Staten Island’s success on the mound this year with the way they have dominated opposing hitters. Both have experience pitching above Short-Season.
“They continue to stay focused on what they need to do regardless of what level they are at,” said Adams about Blanton and Hardy.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie-Advanced): The Yankees (11-8) held the Bristol Pirates to 5 hits in a 5-0 win.
- Spencer Henson: 2-for-4, 1 walk, 1 double, 1 triple, 2 RBIs (8,9). The 9th Round pick in this year’s draft has 6 RBIs in the last 5 games.
- Saul Torres: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 2 RBIs (9,10). Torres also has 6 RBIs in the last 5 games.
- Ryder Green: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 double. The 3rd Round pick in 2018 has 4 doubles in his last 7 games.
- Antonio Cabello: 1-for-5, 1 run scored. Cabello has a 6-game hit streak.
- Roberto Chirinos: 1-for-5, 1 run scored. Chirinos has a hit in 4 straight games and 5 of the last 6 games.
- Madison Santos: 1-for-4, 1 walk.
- Anthony Volpe: 0-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 walks.
- Ken Waldichuk: 3 IP, 0 ER, 0 H, 5 K. 30 of 42 pitches were strikes. The 5th Round pick in this year’s draft has 5 K’s in each of his last two starts.
- Reid Anderson (2-1): 3 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 1 K. 38 of 58 pitches were strikes.
- Tyler Johnson: 1.2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB. 23 of 36 pitches were strikes. Johnson hasn’t allowed a run in any of his 4 outings this year.
- Derek Craft: 1.1 IP, 0 ER, 1 H, 2 K. Craft hasn’t allowed a run in any of his 6 outings this year with an opponents’ batting average of .077.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The GCL East squad had their game against the GCL Blue Jays postponed due to rain and they will makeup the game on July 16. As for the West (3-7), they lost 8-7 to GCL Phillies West.
- Alexander Palma: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 1 home run (4), 1 RBI (7). Palma is on a 4-game hit streak on his rehab assignment. He has 10 hits, including 4 home runs over that span.
- Ronny Rojas: 3-for-3, 1 walk, 2 doubles, 3 RBIs (4,5,6). Rojas had his first 3-hit game of the season.
- Wilkerman Garcia: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBIs (3,4). Garcia has had a hit in all 4 games since beginning his rehab assignment on July 4.
- Juan Crisp: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored, 1 walk, 1 RBI (2).
- Raimfer Salinas: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 1 double. Salinas has had multiple hits in 4 of the 8 games he’s played in this year and had his first 3-hit game of the season.
- Nelson Medina: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 triple.
- Alan Mejia: 1-for-4.
- Edward Paredes: 4.1 IP, 3 ER, 6 H, 2 BB, 1 K.
- Starling Perez: 1.1 IP, 3 ER, 2 H, 1 BB, 2 K.
- Diego Cordero (0-1): 2.1 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 2 K.
- Shaine McNeely: 1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (13-15) lost 13-5 to the DSL Angels.
- Agustin Ramirez: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 1 RBI (11). Ramirez has at least one hit and one RBI in four straight games.
- Maikol Escotto: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 1 walk, 1 double. Escotto is on a 5-game hit streak.
- Marcos Cabrera: 1-for-4, 1 run scored.
- Alex Garcia: 1-for-3, 1 walk. Garcia is on a 4-game hit streak.
- Jesus Rodriguez: 0-for-3, 1 walk, 1 stolen base.
- Miguel Vargas (1-1): 3 IP, 4 R (2 ER), 2 H, 5 BB, 1 K.
- Thowar Martinez: 2 IP, 4 ER, 5 H, 1 BB, 2 K.
- Abel Estevez: 2 IP, 0 ER, 2 H, 1 BB.
- Nolberto Henriquez: 0.2 IP, 5 R (0 ER), 6 H.
- Yordanny Sosa: 0.1 IP, 0 ER, 0 H.