On a Monday when the New York Yankees were off and they made two trades, the affiliates went 3-6 in the nine games that were played. Both Gulf Coast League teams had doubleheaders while Trenton and Tampa had the night off. In Staten Island, the Yankees’ First Round Pick in the 2017 MLB Draft made his New-York Penn League debut while this year’s First Round Pick hit his first home run in the GCL. Meanwhile, Scranton Wilkes-Barre had a pitcher become a hard-luck loser after nearly throwing a no-hitter. Find out who those players were and much more in our Pinstriped Performances:
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (56-49) won their suspended game against the Rochester Red Wings by a final score of 4-3 and lost the originally scheduled game, 1-0 in eight innings.
- Zack Zehner (1-for-4) had an RBI double in the top of the fourth.
- Joe Harvey struck out three batters and walked two without allowing a hit in a scoreless seventh.
- James Reeves made his Triple-A debut. He allowed one run on one hit, walked three batters, and struck out one over 1.2 innings.
- Tommy Kahnle got the final out of the game for his first save of the year.
- Ronald Torreyes and Zack Zehner both went 1-for-3 (Zehner had a triple).
- Chance Adams (3-5) had a no-hitter into the seventh and still look the loss. In 7.1 innings, he allowed an unearned run on two hits, struck out eight, and walked four on 102 pitches (65 strikes).
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (50-54) lost their series opener to the Hickory Crawdads, 7-3.
- Dermis Garcia (2-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the top of the eighth (12).
- Welfrin Mateo (2-for-3, walk) drove in a run on a base hit in the ninth (13).
- Reiver Sanmartin (1-4) went 6.1 innings, allowed six runs on 11 hits, and struck out five on 83 pitches (58 strikes) in a loss.
- Braden Bristo pitched the final 1.2 innings. He allowed one run on two hits, struck out two batters, and walked three.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (23-19) were shut out by the Aberdeen Ironbirds, 3-0.
- Eric Wagaman (2-for-4) and Junior Soto (2-for-3) both had multi-hit games.
- Jackson Thoreson had the other hit for the Yankees as he went 1-for-2.
- Harold Cortijo finished the game. He went five innings, allowed two unearned runs on three hits, struck out five, and walked one.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie)
GCL East: The East squad (11-22) lost both games to the GCL Tigers East. They lost the suspended game, 6-5, in walk-off fashion and they lost the original game, 3-1.
- Ryder Green went 2-for-4 with a double, a triple, and a solo home run in the top of the fifth (3).
- Asdrubal Alvarez was 1-for-4 with a double and a pair of RBIs (7,8).
- Hobie Harris started the resumption of the game on his rehab assignment. He allowed two runs (one earned) on three hits and struck out two batters.
- Jairo Garcia went two innings in relief. He allowed one unearned run on one hit, struck out two, and walked three.
- Alex Mejias (3-1) allowed an unearned run on one hit in the bottom of the ninth and took the loss.
- Brayan Jimenez went 1-for-3 with a double and an RBI (4).
- Pedro Diaz had the other hit for the Yankees as he went 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Anderson Munoz (1-4) went 3.1 innings, allowed three runs (two earned) on five hits, struck out four, and walked two in a loss.
- Jose Peguero came in after Munoz. He struck out four batters and walked two in 2.1 hitless innings of relief.
- Derek Craft allowed a hit and struck out three while not giving up a run in the final 1.1 innings.
GCL West: The West team (16-15) split a doubleheader with the GCL Braves. They lost Game 1, 5-4, in eight innings, and won Game 2 by a final score of 7-5.
- Stanley Rosario went 2-for-4 and hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the third (4).
- Matt Pita was 1-for-3 with a walk and an RBI (4).
- Hemmanuel Rosario and Sincere Smith had the other hits for the Yankees (both went 1-for-4).
- Nelvin Correa got the start. He went 4.1 innings, allowed three runs (one earned) on four hits, struck out four, and walked two.
- Nestor Oronel came in after Correa. He allowed a run on three hits, struck out two, and walked one over 1.2 innings.
- Jackson Bertsch (1-1) took the loss. He allowed an unearned run on two hits and struck out two over two innings.
- Antonio Cabello went 3-for-4 with an RBI (18).
- Stanley Rosario was 2-for-4 with an RBI.
- Roberto Chirinos was 1-for-5 and drove in a pair of runs (8,9).
- Mitchell Robinson went 1-for-4 with an RBI (8).
- Anderson Reynoso went 3.1 innings, allowed three runs on five hits, struck out three, and walked one in a no-decision.
- Kyle Johnson (2-0) did not give up a hit over 2.1 innings and struck out two batters as he got the win.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (20-29) picked up a 9-3 win over the DSL Angels.
- Deivi Munoz was 2-for-4 with a triple and four RBIs (9,10,11,12)
- Alan Mejia (1-for-3, stolen base) hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the third (3).
- Dionys Vallejo went 2-for-3 with a double and he drew two walks.
- Madison Santos (0-for-1) had three walks and an RBI (16).
- Yon Castro (3-3) went five innings, gave up one run on six hits, and struck out six in a victory.
- Ismael Gomez allowed one hit and struck out two over the final 1.2 innings.