On Friday night, the New York Yankees organization finished with a combined 4-5 record in the nine games that were played. Tampa had a rain-shortened game and one of Trenton’s starters had his second double-digit strikeout performance in a row. Meanwhile, the Yankees’ 2nd round pick in 2017 had his first win with Staten Island. Find out who those players were and more in our Pinstriped Performances:
New York Yankees (MLB): The Yankees (56-29) lost their series opener to the Toronto Blue Jays, 6-2.
- Aaron Hicks (1-for-3, walk) hit a solo home run in the top of the third (16) and drove in two runs (41,42).
- Brett Gardner had the lone multi-hit game for the Yankees (2-for-5, stolen base).
- Sonny Gray (5-7) had a rough night on the mound. He went two innings, gave up five runs on six hits, struck out four, and walked two on 62 pitches (34 strikes).
- David Hale saved the bullpen in relief. In 5.2 innings of work, he gave up a run on five hits, struck out one, and walked one.
Scranton Wilkes-Barre Railriders (Triple-A): The Railriders (45-40) defeated the Pawtucket Red Sox 3-2. They have now won five games in a row.
- Billy McKinney (1-for-4) hit a two-run home run in the first (12).
- Zack Zehner had the other multi-hit game (2-for-4, stolen base).
- Chance Adams went four innings, gave up a run on three hits, struck out three, and walked four on 95 pitches (58 strikes) in a no-decision.
- J.P. Feyereisen (5-2) got the win in relief. He allowed a run on one hit and struck out two over two innings.
- Giovanny Gallegos struck out a batter in a 1-2-3 eighth.
- Joe Harvey struck out three batters and walked one while not giving up a hit in the final two innings as he got his fourth save.
Trenton Thunder (Double-A): The Thunder (49-37) gave up all three runs in the seventh inning of their 3-1 loss to the Altoona Curve.
- Gosuke Katoh (1-for-4) drove in the lone run for Trenton with an RBI triple in the top of the seventh (19).
- Caleb Frare gave up a hit, struck out two batters, and walked two in a scoreless eighth.
Tampa Tarpons (Single-A Advanced): The Tarpons (42-42) lost a rain-shortened game 4-1 to the Lakeland Flying Tigers in five innings.
- Brandon Wagner (1-for-2) and David Metzgar (1-for-1, walk) had the other two hits for Tampa.
- Garrett Whitlock (3-2) had a rough second inning in the loss. He went the full 4.1 innings, gave up four runs all in the second (one earned) on six hits, and struck out four on 74 pitches (51 strikes).
Charleston Riverdogs (Single-A): The Riverdogs (43-39) picked up a 4-2 win over the Augusta GreenJackets.
- Dermis Garcia (1-for-3) drove in two runs (15,16) in the win.
- Mitchell Hansen (1-for-3) had an RBI triple in the bottom of the second (2).
- Wilkerman Garcia went 2-for-3 and had his 11th stolen base of the year.
- Leonardo Molina was 2-for-3 with a triple.
- Miguel Yajure went four innings, gave up two runs on three hits, struck out five, and walked two on 68 pitches (44 strikes) in a no-decision.
- Braden Bristo allowed one hit and struck out three in the final two innings as he picked up his sixth save of the year.
Staten Island Yankees (Short-Season): The Yankees (9-12) defeated the Hudson Valley Renegades 3-2 and finished off a three-game sweep. They have won four in a row.
- Frederick Cuevas (1-for-4, stolen base) and Alex Junior (1-for-4) had the other hits for Staten Island.
- Matt Sauer (1-1) had a quality start in a win. He went 6.1 innings, gave up a run on five hits, struck out three, and walked one on 85 pitches (58 strikes).
- Rodney Hutchison got the save in his professional debut. In 2.2 innings of work, he gave up a run on three hits and struck out two batters.
Pulaski Yankees (Rookie): The Yankees (7-10) lost an extra-inning game to the Bluefield Blue Jays 6-5 in ten innings.
- Everson Pereira (2-for-5) hit a three-run home run in the top of the fifth (2).
- Oswald Peraza (2-for-3, walk) got the scoring started in the first with a base hit (1).
- Mickey Gasper (0-for-2) drew three walks at the plate.
- Luis Rijo got the start for Pulaski. He went 4.2 innings, gave up five runs (three earned) on nine hits, and struck out one on 83 pitches (64 strikes).
- Justin Wilson allowed one hit, struck out three, and walked one over three scoreless innings in his professional debut.
- Brett Morales (0-3) lost the game in the tenth. In 1.1 innings of work, he allowed a run on a hit, struck out three, and walked one.
Gulf Coast League (Rookie): The GCL Yankees West (7-6) defeated the GCL Blue Jays, 4-2.
- Stanley Rosario went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles and an RBI (2).
- Antonio Cabello went 2-for-5 with a double.
- Estevan Florial was 0-for-4 with a walk in the second game of his rehab assignment.
- Leonardo Pestana went four innings, gave up a run on five hits, struck out two batters, and walked one in his start.
- Carlos D. Rodriguez (2-0) got the win out of the bullpen. In five innings of work, he allowed an unearned run on two hits and struck out four.
Dominican Summer League (Rookie): The DSL Yankees (14-16) were held to five hits in a 4-0 loss to the DSL Rockies.
- Angel Rojas went 3-for-4 and is hitting .308 this season.
- Miguel Marte (1-for-4) and Anthony Valenzuela (1-for-3, double) had the other two hits for the team.
- Bias Castano (0-2) ended up getting the loss in his start. He went 1.2 innings, gave up two runs on two hits, struck out three batters, and walked three.
- Abel Estevez allowed two hits and struck out one in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
- Cristian Sumoza pitched the final five innings. He gave up two runs (one earned) on five hits and struck out six.