Minor league spring training games began on Friday with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders and Trenton Thunder taking on the Pirates Triple-A and Double-A teams at the Yankees Player Development and Scouting Complex in Tampa.
Due to Bobby Mitchell and the Triple-A staff being at big league camp all the minor league staffs were coaching up a level. Jay Bell managed the Triple-A Yankees, Pat Osborn managed the Double-A team while Julio Mosquera managed High-A and Lino Diaz managed the Class-A team.
As for the players:
- Gleyber Torres batted third and went 2-for-3 with a home run and double for the RailRiders. Torres earned three RBIs and committed one error in the field.
- Dalton Blaser hit a homerun.
- DIllon Tate got the start for Scranton and struck out 4 in 4 innings of work. The home run was hit by Cole Tucker. Tate operated 92-95 and had good break on his pitches and mixed in a few changeups.
- Jordan Foley pitched 1 2/3 innings and struck out five batters.
- Kyle Higashioka went 0-for-3 but threw out a runner.
- Infielder Mandy Alvarez had two doubles for the Trenton Thunder.
- Power pitcher Domingo Acevedo is slated to pitch on Monday, seeing his first action of the spring.
Did you enjoy this article?
Pinstriped Prospects does not have a paywall. With your donation, we can continue to provide you the very best Yankees minor league coverage from the entire farm system.
Every donation helps us bring you features, interviews, videos, podcasts and more!