The primary responsibility for the Breaking News Staff Writer will include covering breaking news stories during business hours, such as promotions, signings, the draft, and awards. Applicants must also have a reasonable amount of availability to write during business hours (Eastern Time). This is an outstanding opportunity for an aspiring writer to gain experience.
In addition, the writer will assist in providing coverage of the 2018 MLB Draft.
- Writer should be able to recognize breaking news and trends as related to the beat
- Report and write with a strong sense of urgency, energy, and tenacity
- Engage and embrace the community with posts on the website and social media
- Writer may be asked to contribute game previews
What You Will Learn:
- How to plan and execute projects between multiple departments
- How to leverage design trends and photography to better promote message
- How to collaborate using tools such as Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Teams and Asana
- How to conduct interviews with players in-person and over the phone
- How to write under deadlines
- How to utilize social media to help identify breaking news
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Must have a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Willingness and availability to post breaking news stories in a timely fashion during business hours.
- Basic word processing skills necessary, basic web content editing skills a plus (e.g., formatting posts, linking to web pages).
- Familiarity with AP style preferred but not required.
- A basic familiarity with PinstripedProspects.com and the Yankees minor league system is necessary. Top-to-bottom expertise is not necessary, but the more background the applicant possesses already, the better.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
No experience necessary, you will get to learn from 2 industry professionals who will guide you through the process of covering a professional baseball team.
- Supervised by Managing Editor
This internship is virtual, you are able to work remotely from home, school or any place you have a stable internet connection.
Internships are available to current undergraduate or graduate students and are for college credit only.
To Apply email your resume and writing samples to [email protected].