The Gulf Coast League Yankees West beat writer will be responsible for providing coverage of one of the Yankees’ Gulf Coast League teams during the season which includes attending games to watch players, interviewing players and coaches, writing weekly features to appear on PinstripedProspects.com.
In addition, the writer will assist in providing coverage of the 2018 Minor League Spring Training, Extended Spring Training, and the 2018 MLB Draft.
Candidates must be located in or near Tampa, Florida.
- Writer should be able to recognize breaking news and trends as related to the beat
- Report and write with a strong sense of urgency, energy, and tenacity
- Engage and embrace the community with posts on the website and social media
- Interview players, manager, coaches and other staff to gain deeper knowledge for features.
- Write 1-2 featured stories a week on players on the team
- Recording and editing video for use on website and social media
What You Will Learn:
- How to plan and execute projects between multiple departments
- How to leverage design trends and photography to better promote message
- How to collaborate using tools such as Microsoft Office 365, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Teams and Asana
- How to conduct interviews with players in-person and over the phone
- How to write under deadlines
- How to utilize social media to help identify breaking news
- Strong attention to detail required.
- Must have a professional attitude and demeanor.
- Strong writing ability and knowledge of the game of baseball
- Work well individually and able to take direction from staff
- Ability to attend several home games a week
- Ability to manage time efficiently and meet deadlines
- Basic word processing skills necessary, basic web content editing skills a plus (e.g., formatting posts, linking to web pages).
- Familiarity with AP style preferred but not required.
- A basic familiarity with PinstripedProspects.com and Yankees minor league system is necessary. Top-to-bottom expertise is not necessary, but the more background the applicant possesses already, the better.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
No experience necessary, you will get to learn from 2 industry professionals who will guide you through the process of covering a professional baseball team.
- Supervised by Managing Editor
Internships are available to current undergraduate or graduate students and are for college credit only.
To Apply email your resume and writing samples to [email protected].