FAKE stats

Home Forums Off-Topic Chat FAKE stats

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coryankee 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

coryankee
    Participant

I posted this on the WIN METHOD blog a few minutes ago. I’ve just been watching Hot Stove on the MLB network and this guy is bashing the stat frauds and their fake stats. He debunked WAR, defensive stats, defensive runs saved, defensive shifts, batter launch angle, pitching spin rates and others. WIN METHOD blazed the trail in decrying the fake, false, made up stats.

For what it’s worth, I think stats have a place in the game but I am still an old-school scouting guy.

coryankee
    Participant

There is no question stats have value. Stats can show power, speed, propensity to get on base, K’s, W’s, etc.
    But no man made convoluted formula stat can tell a players worth over another player. I remember going to minor league games with my dad and as a player came up to bat, my father would tell me ‘this kid will be a good one’ or not.

Yankyfan
    Participant

Ditto!!

coryankee
    Participant

Here is the convoluted man made formula for FIP. FIP. Fielding Independent Pitching converts a pitcher’s three true outcomes into an earned run average-like number. The formula is (13*HR+3*(HBP+BB)-2*K)/IP, plus a constant (usually around 3.2)
    Meaningless claptrap. I really like the “constant usually around 3.2”. Usually around 3.2 until they change it to fit their needs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar