Dellin Betances

Home Forums New York Yankees Dellin Betances

This topic contains 10 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  coryankee 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

coryankee
    Participant

I was perusing comments regarding Dellin Betances over at the WIN METHOD blog. There have been several points brought up about what issues he may be having which is affecting his pitching. What is everyones opinion here, and what are the chances he overcomes them in 2018?

Yankyfan
    Participant

I had seen him ton in the minors. Mostly as a starter. He gets out of whack and loses his composure. I think he will rebound and also feel he again will go into another funk. I think with him you need to take the good with the bad.

coryankee
    Participant

There is no question he gets out of whack and loses his composure, but what is the cause?

Yankyfan
    Participant

Big pitchers often have a problem repeating their delivery. This is why i’m not all that high on ACE.

coryankee
    Participant

There have been a numerous amount of very tall pitchers for a very long time in baseball. Most have not had major issues with delivery. Any pitcher may lose his ‘release point’ for a pitch or two, but very few game after game. Pitching coaches and good catchers can spot these issues very quickly and a visit to the mound usually corrects the situation very quickly. I think Betances has a mental problem and it may be serious because it has gone on for so long.

Yankyfan
    Participant

The Randy Johnson’s of the world have been the exception I have witnesses. The minors are littered with Flame out taller pitchers not being able to repeat their deliveries yet possessing great arms.

coryankee
    Participant

It is not always how hard you can throw, but most importantly can you get outs. Especially big outs when it counts. Betances cna get the big outs only if he can get his head straight and get the ball over the plate, even near the plate in many instances will do.

Buanadha
    Participant

I think Betances needs to pitch really regularly and for longer outings than most traditional 8th or 9th inning guys. That is what keeps him in sync with his delivery and mechanics. It also puts him at risk of wearing down as the season goes on.

Last year, he had a stretch where he sat for a week and then after the next outing was out for about another week. IMO, he just can’t take that much time away from the mound

coryankee
    Participant

What you are stating makes very hard on a manager. If Betances pitches to much he wears down, if he doesn’t pitch enough he has no control. That seems to me it is a problem for Betances himself to deal with. He can throw as much as he needs in the bullpen any time he feels he needs to throw to stay sharp. I believe Betances may be a head case and that would still be on him to get straightened out. When he is right he is something great to watch making the opposing batters to look awful.

Yankyfan
    Participant

Warren was interviewed by MLB radio last week . They asked him about Dellin because they have a long history through the minors. He said Dellin has mechanics issues from time to time but works hard to over come them.
    Adam said it’s all about confidence and when your out of whack you need to pitch through it. Like i said with Dellin i believe you’re going to have to take the good with the bad. Last year the bad came at the worst time

coryankee
    Participant

Any player can cost his team a game or two during the season. With relief pitchers it is magnified. Costing games and pathetic performances in the post season when it counts the most is devastating. Darvish very likely cost his team the World Series last season as a starter. There is a difference of being beat by a great hitter hitting a good pitch and pitching poorly walking batter after batter, not holding runners, etc. Performing when it matters most separates the best of the best.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar